Monday, February 26, 2007

Equipment: P3 Camera Detector

There are several bug detectors out on the market, and one of the easiest to attain is the P3 Camera Detector, which has even been sold at Radio Shack. The device is very small (about the size of a Pez dispenser) and extremely unattractive. For some reason, it has a "sparkly" sticker decorating it - how that pains me to even type that - and it has emblazoned upon it "Camera Detector" with some silly markings and a P3 icon. Not very professional.

Performance-wise, it does OK. It will detect 1.2 and 2.4 GHz transmitters very handily. As you approach the camera, it chirps faster, making detection extremely easy. Using it against the concealed cameras (e.g. any of the cell-phone cameras on EBay), it will find it every time. It does a passable job against higher-powered microphones, but has a hard time with FM bugs and even things in the 49MHz area.



Regardless of what you find with the detector, it will probably make you feel less like James Bond and more like a character from Totally Spies. One night, I simply could not take it anymore, and tried to fix the case with a Dremel. The result was the same I've attained whenever I've used the Dremel - total destruction of the case. However I was able to place in a project box using a 9v battery (instead of its regular 6 volts) and a nice-looking switch, and it now looks fairly professional. Learn from my lesson though: watch the delicate wires, especially around the speaker, since mine is now permanently silent.

If you have any experience with the P3 Bug Detector or any other detector, please let me know your findings. I'm of the mindset now that the only real detector I need is a good scanner and my frequency counter, but I'd love to be convinced otherwise.

No comments: